Saturday 20 April 2013

Life is like a butterfly...

and so is my tummy! The anticipation, months of training and carb loading is nearly over. In just over 26 hours I will be shivering my little socks of in Greenwich with 52,000 other runners, nerves flying and legs like lead no doubt. This has come around way too quickly - anyone with a loathing for winter I recommend training for the London marathon as for me the months have flown by.

So it is too late to do any more - no more training, no more fartleks just a wander to the Excel centre to collect my runners pack, a pasta fest tonight and some good (although unlikely) quality sleep.

But I am buoyed. The last few weeks of "donation hunting" has been tough - asking people for money can at times be a little uncomfortable but everyone has been so kind and generous. At the beginning of the week I was £400 short of my target figure of £2620 and was not sure I would make it. My "bankers" had already coughed up (dearest friends and relatives) and so I was reliant on goodwill from my wider circle. Luckily my wider circle more than delivered with donations coming from far corners of my world. My little Sussex campaigners (ma and pops) were superstars and sent glowingly proud emails to all and sundry with instructions to support their little girl. And by Thursday morning the figure was met... and then something astounding happened (pay day?)... it just kept growing and growing and growing to the point of its current Virgin Money Giving total of £2852. Gobsmacked! This will certainly fuel me around the course knowing every mile is another £100. So tomorrow is a thank you to all you generous donators. I can honestly say that had such a significant amount not be riding on tomorrow I might be opting for a lazy lie in, sunday roast and watching the race from the sofa.

I also have to give you an update to the quiz night last night. Little Coxwell came good in a way only it knows how to do. When the village backs something it does it whole heartedly with a big smacker, a massive hug and a huge amount of laughter! The pub was heaving - 11 tables in total - and we had joint winners "Drakes and Hens" and " Beef or Chicken"... you gotta love the team names! More importantly we raised in excess of £390 (which is on top of the total above) and everyone really enjoyed MC Scobes! My little super star though was Tom. My 7 year old managed to sell a phenomenal amount of raffle tickets and sweep stake time slots (guess mummy's marathon time). Many sneakily quizzed him on my previous training times, condition, terrain preference (it seems I am not the only one who has identified my thoroughbred qualities). However I think he might have (unintentionally) misled many as I overheard "mummy is going to beat Mo Farah". OK I might have sown that seed earlier this week; I AM competing in a race where Mo is also a competitor and I WILL finish (unlike him who is being marshalled out at 13.1) so TECHNICALLY I will beat Mo Farah! But if you were misguided last night all I can say is "it all goes to charity!"

And so this is my last blog before I get my new bling. Don't forget, you can track me as I make their way around the 26.2 miles course via the Virgin London Marathon website from 7am tomorrow all you need is my race number (52704).

If you are watching from the comforts of your sofa one final request.... do it in stye; Pjs and a cuppa tea (pre 11), Sherry and Sunday casual wear (11am - 12.30), G&T and Sunday best 12.30 onwards!

Wish me well my friends. Tomorrow I become an Athlete!

1 comment:

  1. Just enjoy the experience Helly, and remember why you're doing this. Time is not an issue, it's taking part that counts. We'll be with you every inch of the way,willing you on! Good luck and see you tomorrow. We'll be waiting at the finish ready to take you for that well deserved G&T!!!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete