Wednesday 3 April 2013

Good vibrations

After 5 weeks of dubious knee-age and severley reduced training, I have, today, managed a 9 mile run - the most have achieved in more 3 and a half weeks. Having spent a small fortune in recent weeks on lotions and potions, physio and knee support I might be on to something with my new strap on!

It appears my IT Band (no idea what this is) was "stressed". Now my normal remedy for stress is a large gin and tonic but due to my rather sizeable thighs I decided that soaking my limbs in the finest from Bombay would be a waste, and not being a particularly good siphonist (waste not want not) I decided to administer gin in the normal way (slice of lime, tonic and loads of ice) and take professional advice on reducing IT Band stress.

And the remedy is rather convoluted expensive. I now have a foam (in my opinion a trade description as it is as hard as nails) roller that I lie on sideways and roll my body from my hip to my knee (sounds like a good lyric for a an 80s pop icon see here). I also have some hip strengthening exercises (all I need now is a bus pass to fully complete my aging persona) called the crab!

And finally I am the proud owner of an ITB strap on with "Medical Grade Silicone Insert for Vibration Dampening". Check it out!
This is not my knee - mine is far hairier!
So I strapped this on and gave it a try. My trainer came with me today, pedalling slowly behind me checking my "form" (mile 2 he asked me if I was trying new performance undies - more on this later - which led me to believe his focus was very much on the form of my gluts - cheap thrills!). By mile 4 my left knee was feeling very un-loved and it too wanted a silicon vibration dampening strap on so I swapped it over. MAGIC. Straight away my left knee was in heaven and the pain practically disappeared... by mile 6 my right knee was begging wantonly for some vibration dampening. So what is a girl to do when her body is crying out for more vibration dampening that she has available. Buy another strap on! And so I am now the proud owner of not one but two Medical Grade Silicone Insert for Vibration Dampening strap ons, and am £40 worse off! Let's hope my knees enjoy their dirty weekend and remain in knee heaven all around London in two and a half weeks time!

So with knees sorted (ish) I am now panicking about other elements of my attire. New running tights need ordering but which size (8-10 or 12-14... I want a 10 - 12 grr) and which colour (one which matches my London Breast Cancer Care top or one which matches my normal running gear?) I am also on a mission to find the "best" running knickers. I have set up a spreadsheet where I can mark them out ten for comfort, support and how often I need to perform the knicker extraction manoeuvre....! What a lady!

One other lesson learnt today is to not run after a burger. I had real golden arch belly so it appears my holiday treat for the kids might have back fired on me. Knew I should have gone for the salad, at least I burnt the calories off so the guilt is removed.

So with that all underway all that is left to do is get some more miles under my belt, book more physio massages and begin to panic about 21st. Not long now!

No comments:

Post a Comment