Monday 15 April 2013

What a difference a day makes!

Ok ok so firstly I owe you all a big apology for my defeatist attitude yesterday. I blame it on the onset of a cold - the germs were busy waging a war on my logic and for a brief period they won the battle. But the war continues and logic and I are back in the driving seat so bring on 26.2 miles and more!

So what has turned me around? Deep visualisation? Talking to experts? Meditation? Hypnosis? Nope something far more special and unique; the amazing out pourings from the least expected corners of my little world.

Naturally number one supporter was this little girls daddy (and mummy)! Pops was straight on the phone before the ink was dry on the blog. He was trying hard to lift his would be marathonite but we both knew it was fruitless - after 37 years he knows better than anyone how hard I am on myself and he finished our brief chat with a firm "we'll be there on Sunday and so will you". Despite my down and out demeanour I was delighted he called!

Next anonymous (are you the same anonyomous who suggested I, gasp, shave the whole of my leg rather than stopping mid calf?) responded with a reference to a much earlier posting so obviously a regular to this blog.

"Keep calm and carry on. It's a long way to Tipperary, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and SMILE. SmILE, SMILE. Your British!!! "
Thank you - the thought that someone has been following me was such a delight; my very own pet stalker - at last I have something in common with Cameron Diaz!

Motivation #3 came from someone I had no idea was even aware or interested in my crazy pledge. I have known this person since we were babies - in fact whenever mum sees a baby you can pretty much guarantee her next words will be:

"Ah the best looking baby I have ever laid eyes on was David Ashdown. He was beauuuuutiful!"

Anyway David and I were buddies from playgroup through to sixth form and have recently been reunited via the power of Facebook. Despite an absence of friendship of more than 20 years, David gave me the honest kick up the bum I needed! His full comment can be seen on the previous blog but it was both touching and moving and honest. I am certain that he is a lovely straight talking dad, very much like my own (who also used to be his scout leader!)

And then just as I was heading off to bedfordshire mum pinged me to make sure I had read the lovely comments on my blog - it was like being a little girl again and being tucked up in bed with a kiss on the forehead. Thanks mum!

And then this morning the good stuff kept coming. A wonderful email from the lovely Georgia who had spent last weekend in Paris watching her brother run the Paris marathon. It was a lovely long email promising sponsorship but more importantly sharing what an amazing atmosphere there had been in Paris and how uplifting it was

"it made me feel like I wanted to run it!"
I am not sure she had seen my bleak blog - I think this was a genuine coincidence but her final paragraph started

"I just wanted to let you know this in case this helps!!! I have seen the highs and lows of training... he had had two hours sleep the night before from nerves... ended up smashing it...atmosphere was so positive and exciting it gave him a real adrenaline rush... hope it is the same for you! I know how hard you've worked and I am so impressed, and excited for you!... You'll nail it, I'm sure of it!"

Thanks Georgia... your words meant so much and got my heart racing in excitement at the prospect of the 4/5/6 hours of adenalin I am going to experience on Sunday.

At this point the sun started to break through my darkness and I checked my sponsorship page... another £50 from people I am amazed are aware or even interested enough to support me. Old family friends from the USA, another old school friend (who I haven't seen for way too many years), an old friend of my fundraising guru who I have never met but who has promised to donate £10 per month. What amazing stuff guys! Thank you so so much for showing me that the sunshine in my life is not about being the best. It isn't about ignoring those in a dark place. It isn't about riches. It is about people and kindness and support and honesty and doing something for nothing. Thank you for putting me back in my place and back on the 26.2 mile yellow brick road towards The Mall.
Not sure these are ideal running shoes!

2 comments:

  1. Yeh, yeh, yeh, This is the Helly we know and love and yes, David Ashdown was a beeauutiful baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's continue this "Phoenix from the ashes" theme - and this time from your big bro, a 4 time London Marathon completer (plus another 7 in other spots for good measure)!

    It's T-minus 5 days. Nerves, butterflies, nagging "have I done enough training?" questions and in this case (and for my first "London" too) "will my knee take the punishment?" questions...

    Training - 2 x 17 milers, 3 x 15 milers and a half marathon to boot; that it CATEGORICALLY enough training. Period. Full stop. The End.

    I know it's very frustrating when early training is de-railed by injury or illness and you can't help but feel the frustration of not being able to train and the fear of the hard-earned fitness ebbing away. The reality, thankfully, is different - aerobically you'll still be there or there abouts and remember this - with the training runs above (even though you'd like more) you'll be in far better shape than many on the start line. In my experience, some (mainly gobby young blokes who have been on the booze the night before) will have done precious little training - the Wall will have something to say to them at mile 10 or so - not a nice place to meet our friend Mr Wall - more later.

    In the next 5 days, it's about preparing as best you can - rest, good food and a sense of a build up physically and mentally for the "Big Day". The plan is that on the start line a combination of training (even if not ideal), the "taper" (the reduction in training in the week or two before the run), final prep and adrenalin will bring on feelings of being indomitable (good word that), possibly bionic too. I'm SURE it will.

    So, the Wall. No getting away from this - it's nearly always encountered in some form or another. This is where you'll need to be tough but you've got two massive advantages. Firstly and fundamentally, you're tough! Secondly, the London Marathon (except sometimes around the Docklands in my experience) is one of the best supported marathons in the world, and you'll be able to feed off the sheer good will of the crowds (and fellow runners), always remembering Mr Wall will invariably disappear at some point... In fact, while the forecast for warmth and sun may not be ideal for running (remember sun cream and hydration - not too much of the latter though), it'll help ensure an even better atmosphere and larger crowds.

    So, that's it, from one marathon runner to a wannabe, I think you've got this sucker licked.

    See you at the finish. Ice and a slice or straight up?

    Mo x

    ReplyDelete