Monday 22 April 2013

A game of two halves

OK so I am walking like I might have had an "accident" but I can assure you I haven't. It might be to do with the weight of my medal which I have proudly paraded around the office "it looks like a Jim'll fix it badge"! And absolutely nothing to do with getting 26.2 miles under my belt!

48 hours of classic Whetton-Scobey adventure has just passed through our world and it looks something like this:

Having been up far too late Friday night due to the amazing quiz night, we should have enjoyed a lovely long sleep but alas we both were experiencing pre marathon butterflies and Mark went to make tea at some obscenely early hour. 3 hours later we were up and en route to the train station and the beginnings of my marathon journey. But I had a really niggly feeling... I didn't think it was butterflies but I checked and checked my bag in case I had forgotten something important... sports bra check, trainers check, charity vest check, application confirmation check, photographic ID....? photographic ID....? STOP THE CAR! Yep I had left drivers license at home having decided in my last minute wisdom that I didn't need my full purse, but just some cash and a card instead.

1 hour later we had retraced our steps, collected missing drivers license (no photo ID, no race pack, no running) and were nearing the station when... "ERRRR mummy Thea has been sick!"

Of course she has. Of course she decided that today, of all days, was the day to see what happened if you ate raisins (well I think there were raisins) found under the sheepskin car seat cover ... who knows how old there were but the resulting explosion suggests too long. So with sick on my jumper and hands, and no wipes it was an emergency detour to the local shop to try and "clean this mess up!" whilst Tom continued to recount how "it came out just like a water pistol!" Delightful!

30 mins later were back on the road and running more than an hour and a half late. Luckily the rest of the day went swimmingly and I managed to pick up my runner pack from the Excel centre with no further delays.

Spending the night in Greenwich at the lovely Anke and Migs house with Jill and Si and darling Mia, afforded me a lie in and some great gossip to take my mind off the run. Both Anke and Simon had run marathons and were full of tips whilst Mig and Jill just necked their wine laughing at the crazy runners! And I can report that despite the temptation I remainded tee total... which in itself deserves £4000 in sponsorship. Roll on 5am and sleep was not an option... my butterflies were resembling a herd of elephants and I attempted a bowl of porridge which didn't sit too well! Come 7.30 it was time to "transform from Goddess to Athlete" to which Jill, one of my oldest and loveliest friends fell about laughing unable to decide which was the funnier description! Cheeky!

And then it was time to leave "home" and meet my fellow marathonites. I was primed and ready; miles inked in my forearm to keep me focussed; 4.5 lucozade, 6 cutty sark, 6/7 Jill and Si, 8/9 Meg, Si and Tom..... little tricks to help me break the massive challenge into "bite sized chunks".

So whilst waiting for the starting line up I decided I ought to nip to the loo and had the "enjoyable" experience of trying the new P-mate concept; a urinal for women with disposable willy funnels! Boys all I can say is I now understand dribble on the loo seat! It was hilarious walking into the "lady urinal" area (basically a trough in the middle of a field with wind breaks erected to protect diginity) seeing lots of pert ladies bottoms, running trousers around their legs, shaking with laughter!

Before long (and some serious alco wash later) we were lining up in our pens ready for the starter gun and partaking in a minute silence in respect of Boston. 37,000 people pumped with adrenalin and you could hear the birds cheeping in the trees. Total emotion-fest... blubbering wreck incident #1. Then the starter gun went and.... we all stood still. It actually took me 16 minutes to cross the start line and I was shaking with adrenalin not quite believing I was about to run 26.2 miles in the London Marathon. Me who had never run more than 5km until November last year and who had always claimed "I am not a runner!".

Mile 1 -3 passed in the blink of an eye, jelly beans at every mile seemed to come around before I had even finished the previous one it seemed. As we came out of Greenwich I looked up the hill to the right and saw a mass of other runners coming from the green and blue starts - it was an amazing sight and cue for blubbering wreck #2.

Cutty Sark was a sight (note to self must visit it sometime) and then out of nowhere Jill, Si and Mia were upon me. I nearly missed them and so glad they were almost hoarse trying to get my attention. I would have been gutted to have missed them, especially after their amazing hospitality.

Mile 9 saw cheerleaders number 2 (Meg, Si and 3 week old baby Tom) and this was the cause of blubbering wreck #3. Having not met the delightful Tom before I was overwhelmed that they had made the mass treck acoss London for lil ole me AND bought be bananas and Percy Pigs! Amazing! I can honestly say I felt fresh as a daisy and couldn't believe 9 miles had gone. It felt like I had been running for 1 mile and I was so pleased that my fitness was still there and that the swimming replacement for running had worked and saved my knees. I was on course for a 4.45 marathon time which was my dream!

1.5 miles later I saw my lovely boys and Clare but at this point my knee was beginning to niggle. Not quite limping but the realisation that it was going to "pop" sooner rather than later was a sickening feeling. By the time I reached London Bridge I was in real pain, attempting pain diversion by forcing my nails into my hands which would work for half a minute or so before I was forced to return to limping. I was gutted; not even half way into the race and London Bridge being such a highpoint of the race and I was in a bad way.

By mile 13 I was walking more than I was running and could see runners coming back from the City on the other side of the road. They were 7 miles in front and still happy and shiny and here I was limping, frowning and sad. My resolve was disolving.

I next saw mum and dad which must have been mile 15ish and mum gave me hug which gave me the lift I needed but the pain was excruiating. I couldn't believe that despite all the training, despite not being tired or lacking energy, being DESPERATE to run, I couldn't because of my knees. I then made the fatal error of working out my finish time if I had to limp the rest of the way and it was obscene. They would be clearing up around me and this was such a humiliating thought. My training deserved so  much more!

Mile 18 saw big blub out incident #4. I just cried in Marks arms as the pain was so bad.  It was 4.15 so beating 5 hours was now impossible and I had lost all focus. I had even stopped taking my mile marker jelly beans as I couldn't see the point. However some whispered words of support and love, a cuddle from Tom, painkillers and a jelly baby later and I was off again trying to hold it together until "Go Helen you can do it!" from some lovely random supporter. It just hit me like an emotionally train and the tears just fell and fell. And if it weren't for another injured runner, Sarah, I might well have lost my way, but she picked me up emotionally and we walked together for 2 miles chatting about her story and mine (and seeing the lovely Kate on the way). I felt my resolve build and my confidence come back as the pain subsided and by mile 20 I decided it was a case of bust or broke. With  4.45 on the clock I realised I might just, with a fair wind, be able to beat 5.30 (the last sweepstake slot). I became obsessed that there would be a revolt if I was longer than 5.30. That it would been seen as "unfair" that no later times had been offered. That it was a fix; a phone scandal if you will! I was on a mission (all be it an unfounded one!): I HAD to beat 5.30 so it was a case of "run forest run!"

It was amazing to be running. That was what I came for and trained for and had the energy for. In fact I had so much pent up energy and emotion that I was Lewis Hamilton overtaking the broken runners, patting them on the back giving them support and encouragement and whipping the crowds up; yes I was THAT annoying runner. I felt invincible and was so enjoying being alert enough mentally and physically to be able to enjoy the final 6.2 miles which, in my view, were always going to be the best parts. Down the Embankment, past London Eye, towards Houses of Parliament with crowds and crowds lining both sides of the road. The road was much wider than in many previous parts and I had room to move. This was my marathon moment.

Mile 25.5 and I saw my final supporters Matt and Chloe and apparently "You looked so full of energy" and to be honest I felt it. Rounding the corner with 800 meters to go I waved and Buck Palace and fought emotional melt down #5. I could hardly breath with the enormity of it all. I was crying in my throat; just the noise but no tears were coming. I honestly think I was emotionally drained and didn't know what to do but run and I just hope that there is one picture of that final strip where my face is not contorted too badly!

Crossing the finish line was unbelievable. I couldn't comprehend the complete change of events in the previous 45 minutes. That I had run my fastest miles at the end - unheard of! I had done it and with an ok-ish time. I thought I would be disappointed but I am not. I am frustrated that my training deserved a better time but you can't odds injury and luckily my sponsorship wasn't time dependent so the big picture is the same. I raised a huge amount (£4K when all added I think) for some great causes.... and the ballot opens monday for 2014 London Marathon so there is always next year....!

1 comment: