Friday 31 May 2013

It's not the distance but the journey

Despite the weather fooling us into thinking we are still in the early parts of Spring, I am afraid to admit that in 22 days the nights start to get longer.

For the first 4 months of this year my life had been totally focussed on the marathon. I hadn't realised how all consuming it was and I am really missing the structure and regime. I am missing having something to write about (apologies for the radio silence). Having had a month out of training since 21st April due to my buggered sore knee, getting back into the trainers and pounding the roads is proving to be a hard slog. But run I must do. It has become a part of me. I love the solidude (hermit!) and the head space and feeling fit and strong. And most of all I miss being able to eat ANYTHING.

But tomorrow I have my next race. Whilst a 5km should be an easy task it will be an emotional race. I will be running with my lovely inspiration and helping prove that life doesn't stop when you get ill. I don't mean a cold, a sniffle, or even a buggered sore knee. I mean grown up ill. The sort of ill we live in fear of. The sort of ill no one deserves but 1 in 3 of us will, at some point, have an encounter with. So tomorrow, folks, it will be my pleasure to help raise some pennies to help find a cure to the illness which is cancer.  But more importantly I will take on the role of joker and raise a smile... after all we all need to remember the wonderful words "always look on the bright side of life!"

And that brings me onto my next, IMPORTANT question. What should the girlie belt it out playlist be for tomorrow? I am thinking...

- Let's get physical - Olivia Newton John
- Teanage dirtbag - Wheatus (you know you love it really!)
- Jolene - Dolly Parton
- Love shack - B-52s
- Barbie Girl - Aqua
- Ice ice baby - Vanilla ice
- I think we're alone now - Tiffany
- Gold - Spandau Ballet
- Reach - S Club 7
- Torn - Natalie Imbrulgia (sp?)
- Man I feel like a women - Shania Twain
- Let's here it for the boys - Deniece Williams
- Single Ladies - Beyonce
- Maneater - nelly futardo (sp?)
- Kiss kiss- Holly Valence
- Anything by Abba
- C'est la vie - Bewitched

OMG - I need a life. And failing that another gin....

No comments:

Post a Comment