Saturday 23 February 2013

Cool running

It has just occurred to me that my biggest public performance to date is to take place next Sunday in stylish Bath and I have not yet given any thought as to what I am going to wear! How did that pass me by? I am obviously sick and need medication.

The Bath Half is my first official race ever and is a welcome "short run" after yesterday's 17 miler. Now for those of you who are less than avid readers of my ramblings, my running kit is less sportswear and more fancy dress. I have a, now oversized, pair of Sainsbury's running leggings, my mum's old Nike running top (circa 1998), 80s fancy dress  leg warmers, orange tennis shorts over the leggings on particularly cold days and my son's high vis vest. Let's face it I don't look fit whilst I get fit!

So at this late date I am having to accept it is sadly too late to get new gear bought and tested before next Sunday. So I shall rely on every woman's secret weapon; backcombing for extra hair volume combined with hot red lips. This will have one of two outcomes; either my fashion faux pas will be outshone by hair/lip combo or, more likely, my increased "up-do" will increase air resistance requiring greater exertion with the resulting "glow" causing hot red lipstick crevasses to form in the wrinkles around my mouth and down my chin leaving me the spitting image of Stephen Kings Pennywise. Yep the latter seems most likely!

Pennywise-Clown-It

However fear not... I still have time to perfect my London Marathon outfit to ensure that the millions of viewers sat avidly at home watching and waiting for me to come bobbing along, all smiles and waves, will be stunned into silence at my on trend yet supportive running kit. The presenters will run alongside me asking how I manage such a chic yet oh so natural glow and my kit will be revered in years to come as the epitome of style on the tarmac.

OK reality bites and I think the best I can realistically hope for is a hair band which holds firm, socks that are white (ish) and, assuming the end of April will be warmer my ole supermarket faithfuls will be replaced with spangling new, "high performance wicking" shorts which WILL match my charity vest. I can only hope!






No comments:

Post a Comment