Wednesday 2 January 2013

Back to work

Like most of the country I returned to work today and was more than a little heavy hearted kissing Thea goodbye at nursery. From today until April 21st most of my daylight hours are going to be spent either at work or running. Now there’s a daunting thought!

This may seem extreme but my training plan comprises of 4 running sessions per week and I only have available daylight time on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Evenings are out due to both our village location, and its complete lack of street lighting, and my irrational fear and paranoia of the bogey men who come out at night. So you can probably see why my training plan is so strict and allows for absolutely no “force majeur”.

It was whilst contemplating this that I realised how impossible this rigid plan is going to be to commit to, especially when my priority is undoubtedly being a dedicated partner, mother, daughter, employee, sister, cook, cleaner, ironer, friend, taxpayer, PTA treasurer (!)…  rather than would-be-marthonite.

And so it seems my options are simple:
-          Accept failure to complete training to the letter
-          Join a gym
-          Buy a treadmill

In true Hellie style I look at the pros and cons of each and quickly come to the conclusion that the most expensive option (ie treadmill) is the solution. My rationale is that a gym membership for 4 months would cost in the region of £150 and for “not a lot more” I could be the proud owner of a shiny new piece of machinery that I can use as and when I want without having to consider opening hours, childcare or even what I look like. I did ask a friend whether it would be wrong to use sponsorship money to fund the machine and it appears “yes it would!”. Of course I knew that but it was worth a game of scrupples just for the second!

And so I passed my well thought through, considered decision over to procurement for consideration to which I received the following response
“I think it's an OK idea to be honest… What's the objective? i.e. is a home workout the right choice for you?  ….. I guess I'm concerned that we're spending cash on what might end up as being an expensive clothes horse.”
Initial response was “He knows me so well” followed by “Clothes horse – I am going to have to buy more clothes to drape on this piece of furniture”. Who knew buying exercise equipment could be so exciting!
 To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment