Tuesday 1 January 2013

To Ball or not to Ball

It is officially day 1 of my 1,000,000 pence challenge and I already have £30 (plus gift aid) pledged. What a fantastic start (thanks Joy, Johnny and Sam for donation number 2) but the hard work really starts now and I am not simply referring to my marathon training but also to the serious fund raising I need to begin to plan and formalise.

So last night (New Years Eve) whilst sat around the dinner table, having followed the dress code to the letter (slob clothes), with dear friends, gossip and drinks flowing, the subject of how I might reach such a significant target was raised. Having just streaked (I assure you it was an accident - but you wouldn't believe me if I told you the story so I shall leave you intrigued) it was suggested by the caveman in the group that I could simply raise money that way. Luckily, despite the drink, I had enough sense to realise that a 37 year old streaker was probably not the inspiration I was intending for the children and so I declined the suggestion. And then hope appeared in the form of my lovely girlfriends (having wiped the tears of laughter following said streaking incident) who suggest a charity ball as a good one hit wonder which should get my target hit (and possibly exceeded).

Now this is something I have considered on and off over the past few weeks but always dismiss due to a reoccuring concern. What if I don't sell enough tickets and make a loss - it is not my money to gamble with? How can I be sure to make it a fantastic night (we've all been to lacklustre charity events) so that the money raising becomes almost a by product rather than the purpose. Or am I missing the point? Maybe I am being terribly British in my embarrassment to openly ask people to open their wallets and spend. Maybe people expect auctions, raffles and alike and am I trying to fix something that is not broken? Maybe I am asking too many questions at this stage?

And so I close with my new years resolution; to make a decision and run with it. As someone very special always says to be "you always get it done... somehow"

No comments:

Post a Comment